Thursday, August 2, 2007

Running Across America

TransAmerica map
OK, so Ryan and I finally decided to start getting in shape. (We don't want to gain the Newlywed 15!) I have used various online fitness logs through the years, and unfortunately, every one I've used has been yanked by its owners (thanks, Runner's World!) or has started charging money for its use. So, I was on the hunt for yet another free online fitness journal, and I stumbled upon this: http://exercise.lbl.gov/. The URL denotes that this has been put online by the Lawrence Berkley National Lab.

There's not a lot of explanation about what the exercise site is for, but the concept is great: someone has taken photographs all along a highway that stretches from the east coast (Virginia) to the west coast (Oregon), for a total of 4063 miles. Every day you log how many miles you have walked, run, or biked, and the site will show your progress on the trail. It will show you a detailed map of your location in the city, state, and country, as well as a picture of your location. It will tell you how far you are from the next town along the map.

Exercising can seem monotonous at times, so it's great to have a goal, and such a fun way to track it.

1 comment:

Ryan and Amy said...

That is awesome! I am going to have to use that site. So when is our next game night? Perhaps at some point we can incorporate fitness into it?