Friday, November 14, 2008

Cosmetics

I used to just wash my face with water and a wash cloth every morning and night, and that was my entire skincare regimen. Any time I tried using any sort of cosmetic cleanser, I'd break out. I always concluded that the reason was because I was somehow allergic to whatever I was trying out. However, after I was told repeatedly by ladies at the cosmetic counters of various department stores that I was breaking out because I was finally getting impurities out of the skin, I thought I'd give it another try. That was about a year ago. After some experimentation, I thought I'd share with you the products that I use on a daily basis. I find my skin is softer than before, and as I age, I appreciate products that conceal my skin's sun damage, etc. (I would like to think I'm too young to worry about wrinkles yet!)


Clinique
I spent a whole day walking around the mall, trying to ask all the different cosmetic brands why their product would be right for me. I was discouraged that most people couldn't give me a good answer why I should pay $75 for cleanser and toner. However, Clinique was offering free samples of their 3-step skin care system, and I thought the best way to know if a skincare system would work would be to experiment first. Again, I was disappointed that no other brand had any samples I could take home and try. Kudos for Clinique, because they got a new customer.


3 Step Skin Care System
I use the 3-step skin care system. Clinique has 4 different sets, based on your skin's dryness vs. oiliness. My skin tends to be on the dry side, but not excessively so, so I use #2. Something I really appreciate, too, is that they have travel sizes, that are less than 3 o.z., which means I can take them through airport security on my carry-on. (Much better than having to check bags at $15 a bag just because you want to take some moisturizer along, and much better than trying to squeeze the product into travel containers yourself.)


Stop Signs
I'm not sure whether it's because I'm just getting older and have exposed myself to the sun too much, or because I went on birth control and have cholasma, better known as a "pregnancy mask". Either way, I have faint discoloration of skin on my forehead. Although other people don't seem to notice it, since I didn't used to have it, I can feel self-conscious about it at times. The lady at the Clinique counter suggested I use their "Stop Signs" product. Unfortunately, the product cost about $40 and, as far as I can tell, hasn't done anything. I don't recommend this... (although, since I'm cheap, I'm still using it on a daily basis, still hoping against a hope a year later, that it will do something. I mean, I'm not going to throw away $40!)


Moisture Surge
Moisture Surge. I tend to get easily dehydrated, and that it turn makes my skin feel very dry, in spite of using the moisturizer that comes as part of the 3 Step system. Adding this product as a last step makes my skin feel silky smooth. I love it!


L'Oreal
When I got married a year ago, I got a whole spa package that included not only getting my hair and nails done, but also getting a professional make-up artist to do my make-up. Again, not being a big skin-care person, I rarely used anything more than my Cover Girl powder compact to absorb the oil from my skin throughout the day. The lady at the Egyptian Revival Spa, where I went, used a line of mineral make-up products. Mineral powders were just hitting the scene, and when I got back after my honeymoon, I decided to invest in some of the powders for myself. I absolutely love using my new products! It really does feel like painting, because you can use the brushes to highlight different parts of your face. The best part, though, is that it makes my skin look even and hides the discolorations my skin has. I like it much better than cream-based foundations, which never really concealed much for me.


Bare Natual
I use the "Bare Natural" products by L'Oreal. I just got them at Walgreens, and although they're pricey (about $15 a container, retail), you can often find them on sale.


The reason I like the design is that I have a very tiny bathroom, and all my makeup products go in one big plastic container. I've tried using loose brushes, but then any powder left on the brush covers everything else in the container when I put the brush up. I like these containers because the brush is protected by a plastic lid, which keeps the brush's shape, and doesn't get the leftover powder over everything.

The have several types of face products, and I use just about all of them: a powder for the foundation, a powder for "glow"(i.e. has a bit of pink in it, which covers up the more orangey tint of the foundation, better matching my skin), a blush powder, a concealer powder, and a "finishing" powder. (I wasn't convinced I needed the "finishing" powder at first, but it does a good job of smoothing out the pores once all the other powders are on your face, making the powder not look so caked-on.)

2 comments:

Trish and Yanni said...

Great review. So, worth the money then on the Clinique products? I also have melasma since starting birth control pills--very common. I know there's a prescription lightening cream that you could get from your doctor if you are really concerned about it :)

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

i'm an oil of olay kind of girl...reminds me of being a little girl and seeing my mom do her nightly routine...i miss being a little girl..lol
i do love the free gifts w/a clinque purchase..i use their happy heart perfume!