Friday, November 14, 2008

Becky the Budding Bird-Watcher

I've enjoyed watching the wood-peckers eat from the suet-block bird feeder in the back-yard all year. Since it's brought me such pleasure to watch our daily visitors help themselves, I decided I'd take it a step further this year and buy a "real" bird-feeder, (i.e. that you put bird seed in, not suet blocks.) I had no idea how popular this bird feeder would become! My yard has become Grand Central Station for the bird population in Mt. Vernon, apparently! (I filled up the bird feeder a week ago and about a half-gallon of seed is already gone!) It has been tremendous fun seeing a whole new variety of birds. I stand at my kitchen window every morning and just take in the flurry of activity. I've tried to sneak a few pictures in without the birds noticing me (which they often do, and promptly take off.)


Can you spot all five birds in this picture?

Blue Jay

Woodpecker

No comments: