Saturday, October 18, 2008

Harvest Festival Parade

There isn't a whole lot that goes on in Mt. Vernon, but several times a year we get to celebrate one thing or another. This year, Mt. Vernon held the first annual Harvest Festival Parade. It was a beautiful fall day, so I went to the parade with my next door neighbor Amy and her three kids: Cassidy (6), Callie (2), and Chloe (6 months).
We got a special surprise when several vintage planes whizzed by overhead. Although Mt. Vernon doesn't have a commercial airport, the private, regional airport periodically gets "fly-ins" from World War II planes, etc.
This was one of the more original floats I saw; it was decorated like a U.S. battleship. I noticed that, compared to other parades I've been to, this parade featured many veterans groups.

I enjoyed the "country" themed paraders, in particular.


More fun participants.
I have a soft spot in my heart for marching bands in parades, considering I marched in quite a few of them myself when I was in the marching band in high school. I was tickled when I saw one band whose uniforms were almost identical to the ones we wore for Riverside High School.

No comments: