It tells the story of St. Francis of Assisi, but through the eyes of a teenaged girl who has a mad crush on him. She deserately believes she can turn him from his new-found preoccupation with religion. Meanwhile, in her obstinance and obsession, she becomes a greater and greater nuisance to her family. It doesn't help that her best friend, Clare, decides she wants to join Francis, and gains access Francis' complete attention.I bought the book when I was in Germany as a 16 year old, where it's entitled "Das Feuer von Assisi" (or, "The Fire from Assisi.") I've pulled the book out every now and then to brush up on my German. (Because the language is geered to grade schoolers, it makes it easy for a non-native German speaker like me to understand!) It's funny how reading the story now differs from my reading of it as a teenager. When I was younger, I could identify with her puppy-love infatuation with Francis, and I could understand her longing for this man. However, reading it as an adult, I can't help but think how pig-headed she is, and how I would hate to have a daughter who behaved as she! Oh, the difference a few years can make.
At any rate, I highly recommend this book to kids in 5th or 6th grade. It's a great read, and is a fun way to learn about some history.
No comments:
Post a Comment