Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Centralia House

On Monday night, Ryan and I decided to "get out of Dodge", and go to "Mini-Dodge", i.e. Centralia, an even smaller town about 25 minutes up the road. We were planning to visit an Italian restaurant there we enjoy, only to discover it's closed on Monday nights. (Life in a small town....) We drove around town for a while looking for some place to eat besides Taco Bell, Burger King, KFC, or McDonald's (although these are the staples of any good southern Illinois community, I'm beginning to discover.) We finally stumbled upon this restaurant called "The Centralia House".

It turns out the restaurant has been around for 150 years. Being a major stop along the railway, it was a frequent stop for passengers who wanted to get something to eat (especially before the days of "dining cars".) Apparently Generals Grant and Sherman, among others, had eaten there. I can honestly say it's probably the first bona fide "saloon" I've been in. (It also served as a bordello!)

We were the only people in the restaurant (other than a group in a banquet room, I believe), so it made for an intimate night out. It was a fun discovery for a Monday night.

No comments: