Friday, February 29, 2008

How Full is Your Bucket

I'm currently doing a project out at Gallup, and last week one of the folks there handed me a copy of this book (published by Gallup) and recommended it to me. (Truth be told, it was left over in the cubicle I was taking over, and he was like, "Here's a free book.")

The idea behind the book is that everyone has a "bucket" and a "dipper", and the more positivity you feed to someone else, you're "filling up their bucket" and filling up your own in the process. In reverse, any negativity you spread both empties theirs and yours. This seems like one of those pretty obvious concepts, but since the book is written by an author who works with Gallup, it was chalk full of surveys and psychological studies to back up the idea, which I found helpful.

I think the key I walked away with is that it takes so very little effort to compliment people in meaningful ways, and "spread the love" so to speak, yet we so rarely take that extra effort. In reverse, it made me realize how small negative or sarcastic comments that I left fly at times can also have a rather large impact in the wrong direction.

The book is a short read... I read the whole thing on my hour flight from Omaha to St. Louis. If you have an hour to spare, I do recommend. It's a nice little book.

No comments: