Tuesday, July 17, 2007

New Friends

God is so good.

So, yesterday I woke up feeling very stressed out as to whether I should take a new contract in St. Louis. It some ways it seemed like a good opportunity, but I just didn't have a good feeling about it. Plus, I've only been in Mt. Vernon for a little over a month, and Ryan was just gone for 5 days. The idea of being on the road myself for 2-3 weeks wasn't appealing. I had told the person I would be working for that I would get back with him yesterday morning, but Ryan still hadn't returned my call, so I still didn't have an answer for this person. Sure enough, at 8:30 in the morning he called, wanting to know my decision. I flopped down on my bed and just prayed, "God, you've got to help me. Please help me. I don't know what to do."

So, I went to the local coffee shop, and who should I meet, but the a mother I had met at church just two days before. She came in with one of her friends. Vacation Bible School was this week, so she just had her littlest with her. I thought that she might really value this time with her friend, since she has four children and I don't imagine she has much free time without them, but these two women welcomed me into their conversation for several hours. It was so wonderful. My first women friends in Mt. Vernon!! That had been such a prayer of mine.

It also confirmed my feeling, that I really need to not travel, at least for the next several months. It's not that I can plan chance meetings, or schedule a day to make friends, but if I wasn't in Mt. Vernon at all, how could I expect to meet people at all? Furthermore, I went home and had a talk with the woman I'm currently working for, and I asked her if she had more work for me. She said she definitely did. I also asked her if she was okay with me working part time, and she said she did. So praise God, I'll be able to work part time for the next several months, telecommuting at that. It's really the best of both worlds! I'll have some time to do those things that make a home a nice place to live in, like cook and clean, but I'll also have some structure to my days, and make a little money.

Once again, God has shown himself to be faithful. I feel so undeserving. This morning I was reading in 2 Samuel, when God tells David He'll establish David's throne forever. David's response is, "Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"

1 comment:

Ryan and Amy said...

That is awesome! We think it is so wonderful to see God working in your life. It really builds our faith.