A good friend of mine unexpectedly sent Ryan and I tickets to the U2 concert at Busch Stadium in July, since she was unable to go with her husband. Lilly was just barely old enough for me to feel okay about leaving home and letting her grandma put her down to bed. St. Louis was almost the last city on the tour, so for two years I had read reviews of the concerts on Facebook from various friends across the country. I have to admit I was really happy to finally see what everyone had been talking about.
Unfortunately, an opening act cancelled (unbeknownst to us) so we literally had to sit in 90 degree heat for 2 hours waiting for U2 to sing. It was just neat to be out and about, though. The stage, nicknamed "The Claw" was pretty darn amazing. Apparently there are 3 or 4 "claws", so they can set up and tear down the stage in various cities at once. They're up for sale now. Maybe we'll end up seeing it again in some other venue one day.
I think the most awesome part of the concert was that the whole thing was coreographed so tightly that every move that Bono or The Edge made, looked like we were watching a professionally produced MTV video on the big screen above the stage, except that every move was live. The precision was incredible. I also have to say that Bono really does have an incredible voice. At one point he even took a swig of a water bottle in the middle of a song! Now that's a professional! Also, it was 90 degrees (even after dark) and the Edge is playing his guitar in a winter tobbagan. And those guys aren't spring chickens anymore. I was impressed by their dedication to the performance.
No comments:
Post a Comment