Friday, July 17, 2009

Red-winged Black Bird

I normally hate black birds. I think that's because 1.) there were so many grackles in Dallas, and they are the most disgusting birds ever and they remind me of black birds and 2.) they're so big they eat me out of house and home. However, I saw a new kind of black bird that intrigued me. Ryan informed me it's called the Red-winged black bird. I thought it was neat how it was all black, except for these chevrons of red and yellow on its wings. The colors look really cool when the bird opens up its wings to fly. I've been trying to take pictures of it for a long time, but I've found that the more brightly colored a bird is, the more skiddish it is, it seems. I finally got a couple far-away shots on the camera.

1 comment:

Job 77 said...

I really like red-winged blackbirds because of their pretty, liquid-sounding call. They like marshy open areas, and our hotel in Wisconsin was next to a marshy area, so we saw a lot of them there.