Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Opryland Hotel, Nashville

I used to live about a mile from the Gaylord Texan hotel in Grapevine, Texas. I had often head that as large as that hotel seemed, it was dwarfed by the mothership hotel, the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, Tennessee. Having never been to Nashville, I asked Ryan if we could at least have dinner at the hotel when we passed through, just so I could see how it compared.

It's not right to use the word "disappointing" when you see atrium after atrium of planned out plant, rivers, and bridges. However, I felt like the architecture lacked the distinctive feel of the Texan. It had a hint of "southern" to it, but not enough to make the architecture knock-you-off-your-feet impressed. Also, there was actually a hint of mold or mildew in the air of the main atrium, which unfortunately had the effect of diminishing the awe you feel when you first enter it.

But, that all being said, we had already driven 8 hours that day and were happy for the chance to walk around a bit. We first ate at a sports bar, only to discover that they wouldn't validate our parking there. Rather than paying the ridiculous $18 parking fee, we decided to head over to another nice Italian restaurant for dessert, which was well presented, and scrumptious.

No comments: