Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Great Architecture

The client I've been working at in Omaha has one of the most visually appealing buildings I've ever worked in. It was built 3 years ago and sits on the banks of the river that cuts through Omaha. Not only was the building beautiful, but it was laid out in a way that seemed to maximum interaction between employees. Some examples I saw:

  • Each floor was laid out differently. I assume this is because the type of work that each department does is different, and the floorplan was based on what would work best for their department.
  • There were common areas throughout each floor, with comfy upholstered chairs that had writing tables, for ad hoc meetings.
  • There were abundant meeting rooms.
  • There were lots of windows.

I think my favorite thing about the lobby was that they had tables out there and people eat out there at lunch, since it's next to the cafeteria. There are so many companies that have beautiful lobbies, and the only person who uses them are the security guards that sit at the front desk. This company takes advantage of its beautiful lobby also by hosting receptions there. It seemed like every detail of the building had been thought out in great detail.





No comments: