Saturday, August 7, 2010

Weird Al Concert




I've been a fan of Weird Al since the 80's, and I finally got my chance, after all these years, to see him in concert. It's been truly amazing that he has lasted all the years. We saw people my age or older, who remember him when he first came on the scene with parodies of Michael Jackson and Madonna songs, but their kids were in the crowd too, who know his more recent parodies. This certainly presents an interesting challenge for him, though, if the younger kids don't remember the "oldie but goodies". He managed to bridge the gap fairly well, singing songs like "I'm Fat", "Eat It", etc., but also singing some of his more recent hits, "I'm White and Nerdy" (bottom photo) and "The Saga Begins" (above).

He started out the show singing Lady Gaga's "Polka face" with his accordian. His show involved lots of costume changes, so to keep you occuppied, he had lots of video clips between songs. Quite a few of them were references to Weird Al through the years, whether that was clips of TV sitcoms like Friends or news clips over time. It's kind of funny that he took the time to remind us how much of a universally known pop icon he's been through the years.

The show wasn't as well-attended as I would have liked, but I didn't care; it was my chance to see a guy I've been waiting 25 years to see.

No comments: