Sunday, August 17, 2008

Daniel

OK, so I was a little bit skeptical about doing a Beth Moore study the first time I did one. Having lived in Texas, where apparently 90% of Christians with "celebrity status" live, I had become a bit jaded about Christian authors/speakers/singers who had mass followings. I had become all-too aware of the fact that being the pastor of a multi-thousand member church, or having multiple best-selling books, did not always determine if a church was a healthy church or not.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised. I am someone who gets bored easily with Bible Study material that focuses on simple questions that just reiterate what the passage just said, or materials that focus too much on "How does that make you feel?" type questions. I discovered that the Beth Moore studies have a good deal of really "meaty" content that can keep me engaged for several months at a time.

Right now I'm going through her study on the book of Daniel. So far, I've enjoyed the teaching, (although I'm doing it on my own, without the benefit of the DVD lessons, so I'm probably missing a good deal.) I've always admired Daniel, and held him up as my professional role-model: he could answer with "wisdom and tact"; he answered questions directly, in spite of the potentially dire consequences; he did what he did not for personal honor and acclaim, but to do God's will; and although he got thrown by the wayside throughout multiple monarchies, he was always ready to step up to the plate the next time, no matter how many decades later.

No comments: