Thursday, November 15, 2007

Union Station


Today I needed to go to St. Louis to pick up some items from a mall in the city, and on the way I decided to stop off at Union Station. It's the old train station that has been converted into a mall. Part of it is composed of a Hyatt hotel, with rooms overlooking the interior of the mall. I entered the building from the side and wasn't too impressed. However, once I spied the restored main entrance to the place, I was utterly amazed. Pictures don't do justice to adequately convey the space. When you walk up the stairs to the main level, the barrell vault of the ceiling hangs way above your head. The detailed plaster and wood work of the building has been meticulously restored. It's truly a marvel to behold. (Unfortunately, I didn't have my "real" camera with me, so shots from my camera phone had to do.)

No comments: