I grew up in Durham, home of the Duke Blue Devils. I have been a die-hard Duke Basketball fan since I was 5. (Previous to then I was a UNC fan, but luckily I saw the light at a young age.) At any rate, my world of sports has always revolved around college basketball, specifically the ACC. When I moved to Dallas, I started to get familiar with professional sports: there were the Mavericks, the Texas Rangers, the Cowboys, and the Stars. But honestly, going to professional sporting events was not much more than an entertaining way of spending an afternoon or evening.But it wasn't until I married Ryan that I learned about CHICAGO SPORTS. This takes sporting obsession to a whole other level. Apparently there are no sports teams, nor have there ever been, nor shall there ever be, which approach the almost godlike qualities of the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago Bears. (Apparently, for whatever reason I know not, the Chicago Bulls don't seem to fall into this category, according to my husband.)
You know, when you marry someone, you get all of them. Not just some, but all. So, to be perfectly honest, it was more for his stunningly good looks and gracious charm that I chose Ryan to be my husband. Spending 3 hours every Sunday for half a year in front of a TV watching the Bears play, and another 3 watching the Cubs play, was not really high on my list of qualities I was looking for in a husband. But, being a doting girlfriend and a good wife, I decided, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em; i.e., if he's going to spend 3 hours every Sunday watching football, and if I have to be in the house at the same time, I might as well learn to like NFL football, or at the very least, learn how the game is played.
My one holdout: if I was going to get a Bears jersey, it wasn't going to be navy and orange. I mean, orange is not a color that appears very often in my wardrobe, let's be honest. Luckily, I found myself a nice Urlacher jersey in pink. Yes, I can still be a Texas girly-girl, even if I'm wearing my Bears jersey. (And yes, I just had to ask my husband how to spell "Urlacher".)
2 comments:
What the heck is Urlacher?
LOL... I had to ask the same question! He is some guy on the Bears team. Not the quarterback. Maybe a linebacker? *sigh*... I dont' know if I'll ever get into this football thing!
Post a Comment