Monday, October 24, 2016

Beauty and the Beast Mommy/Daughter Date

We generally go everywhere together as a family, and, quite frankly, our kids are so used to that too that when we try to plan individual one-on-one time we're usually met with an initial, "Huh? Does not compute" type expression. However, Ryan went fishing with Lilly the other day when she had the day off of school, so yesterday I went to see "Beauty and the Beast" at UMSL with Abby. I had no idea how she would be, and how long she would sit still for a play, but she did incredibly well, (better than I expected), sitting still for a whole hour on my lap, even though I know the story line was still a little over her head. She got squirmy at the end so we didn't stay for the second half, but I gave her props for making it that long. Afterwards we drove to Jilly's Ice Cream, a rather famous ice creamery on a side of town I never frequent.

Abby was pretty tired after a late night cooking hot dogs over a campfire with a friend from church and her five kids, the night before, so she wasn't very loquacious. It's hard to tell if the alone time with Mom meant anything to her but I know I enjoyed it to pieces. I'm so busy "mothering" it's hard to stop sometimes and just appreciate my beautiful daughter with the brown hair, big eyes, and beautiful smile. It was nice to have the opportunity to do that.


No comments: