Friday, July 19, 2013

Air Show at Fair St. Louis

Each 4th of July weekend, St. Louis throws a huge party called Fair St. Louis. There are big name acts, a huge Mardi Gras-like parade, and an air show. A year ago I was attending a meeting on the top floor of the Federal Reserve Bank when I noticed these stunt planes doing tricks. They fly right in front of the Arch and zip right along the river. After seeing that scene rather unexpectedly, I decided I wanted to go see the show "for real". (I had seen fighter jet air shows before with the likes of the Blue Angels, but I had never actually seen stunt planes before.)

After spending all of July 4th decorating our new nursery, we decided to go attend the air show on Friday, July 5th. There's a little-known park on the East St. Louis side of the Mississippi river that we decided to go to. Unfortunately the levee is a little high so it wasn't possible to see the actual Arch grounds themselves, but it gave us a pretty good unobstructed view of the Arch and the planes flying by. I hadn't expected that the show would have narration, which was kind of neat.

The show went on for two hours but after an hour Lilly was looking a bit red in the face (and me being uber-pregnant) we decided to take off. It was a fun family outing. (Incidentally, this was just 3 days before I had Abby.)






No comments: