My mother-in-law subscribes to the devotional booklets from the Radio Bible Class. She received a book by author David Roper, which was a devotional called Seasoned with Salt: Lessons from Elisha. I'm typically the kind of person who likes to sit with my Bible open, answering study questions based directly on the text, when I study my Bible. Sometimes devotional books seem to much like cotton candy, because it's the equivalent of watching others lift weights instead of doing it yourself. However, this book really engaged me. The author based all his commentary on the Bible stories about Elisha. Each chapter ended with a series of questions you could answer relating to the Bible stories and the author's text. I found myself looking forward to reading a new chapter each day.
Once I was done with the book, I was so sad to see it go that I decided to find other books by David Roper. I decided to work backwards, as it were, and read about Elijah in the book, Elijah: A Man Like Us. This book isn't so directly based on the Biblical text of the story of Elijah, but I find myself once again enjoying reading a new chapter from this book each day. The author has covered topics such a present day idolatry, dealing with depression, and dealing with enemies, all based on the life of Elijah and what he went through and how he handled adversity and interacted with God. I think the book was written in the mid-nineties, but I still find it has relevent value for today.
1 comment:
I would like to read these as well!
Post a Comment