Sunday, July 10, 2011

Super Cookies

My friend Nikki Hummel sent me a wonderful present in the mail about a month after I had Lilly... a box of homemade cookies. She told me that these cookies included an ingredient called "brewer's yeast", which is supposed to increase milk production in nursing women. I really liked the cookies. There's nothing better than downing several cookies a day and feeling like it's healthy. (The other nice part is that I told Ryan to keep his hands off of my cookies, since he clearly didn't need their "medicinal" power.)

Nikki also sent me the recipe for the cookies, so I decided to go ahead and make myself a batch yesterday. They are oh so yummy! (And yes, Ryan might have gotten his hands on one or two.)

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3-4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flower (1 cup whie, 1 cup wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cup oats
1-2 cups chocolate chips (or raisins or cranberries or whatever)
2-4 heaping tablespoons brewer's yeast

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the flaxseed meal and water and let sit for 3-5 minutes.
Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar well.
Add eggs and mix well.
Add flaxseed mix and vanilla. Beat well.
Sift together flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt.
Add ddry ingredients to butter mix.
Stir in oats and chips.
Scoop onto baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes.
Let site for a couple minutes then remove from tray.

Makes about 60 cookies (or less if you make the cookies bigger!)

2 comments:

Trish said...

they sound and look delicous!

Job 77 said...

Awesome! I'll have to make some the next time a friend has baby. And of course, I will first have to make a batch to sample myself. Can't send it to anyone without first knowing how they taste, right?

I had no idea brewers yeast was supposed to be good for nursing mothers. I would have eaten more of it when I was nursing. We love it sprinkled on popcorn. It tastes sort of like cheese.

(I haven't been blogging or reading blogs much this summer, so I'm just now catching up.)