Tuesday, March 10, 2009

New Bathroom

Ever since I moved into the house with Ryan, I have hated the bathroom I use. For example, the week we got married and I started using that bathroom (Ryan uses the other one) I noticed a crappy 2-dollar wood coat hanger - the kind with dowel rods you hang your kids' coats up with - shoved into the wall across from the toilet. When I took it out, it revealed two gaping holes where, presumably, a towel rod had once been. For the next year, every time I sat on the john, I got to contemplate those two holes. The walls were painted the same bland off-white color the rest of the house had been painted. We eventually realized that paint was covering one or more layers of wallpaper. Ryan begged me not to attempt to redo the bathroom, since it seemed like one of those bottomless projects. (In reality, we could do with replacing nearly every item in there, including scraping the walls of their wallpaper.) I finally convinced him to let me at least paint the walls. (It drove me crazy how the last paint job had just been one coat of paint, and I had to stare at streak marks all over the bathroom. It's amazing how little things like that can grind on you over time!)

Finally, last weekend, I got the bathroom I had hoped for, for the almost 2 years we've been married. In fact, I finally felt like the bathroom was worthy of pulling out of storage the shower curtain and new towels we registered for and received as wedding presents so long ago. It's hard to tell the color from the pictures, but instead of off-white, the walls are now a peachy-tan sort of color. (I told Ryan, if it were a Crayloa crayon, it would be called "Flesh".) I wanted a nice neutral tone a future owner wouldn't balk at (if I had my druthers, I would have painted the bathroom a deep burgundy), but a color that would match the shower curtain. It's not exactly my dream bathroom, with the 70's sink with faux green marble countertop and ugly vanity lights, but with just a coat of paint, I was impressed with the change. (That, and cleaning up all my toiletries!)


Before


After

No comments: