I have recently been going through a study guide that was given to me by a friend who has been a youth group leader for a number of years. The journal is called The Disciple's Journal: A One Year Guide for Believers. (It looks to me like I got a published version, but they've made it available online now for free in electronic format.) Although I think the guide is meant for new believers, I've found it helpful. Each day it goes through a different virtue/character trait. The lessons I've gone through so far are "Perseverance", "Patience", and "Courage". Upcoming lessons are on forgiveness, honesty, etc.Each lesson is fairly brief. It gives you some verses of positive examples, so verses of negative examples, and a verse to memorize. Perhaps what I find most helpful about each lesson is that they have a list of questions that really drive home how well you exemplify it in your own life. For instance, the lesson on patience asks, "Am I able accept unfavorable circumstances calmly?"; "Do I complain when plans do not go my way?"; "Can I handle red lights, long lines, short delays, or do I quickly get angry or irritated?" I personally am really good about answering academic questions about the Bible, such as "What did Paul mean when he said...", but I have an extremely hard time answering questions about how things apply to my own life. Since I sort of take my own life and my own way of seeing and doing things for granted, it's hard for me to answer general questions such as, "How does this apply to your life?" I appreciate the pointed questions that force you to see how you do or don't act in a given circumstance.
I feel like this issue of character is import for me right now. My work schedule is the heaviest load I've ever had, I think. Plus, I'm in the most politically-charged environment I've been in, in a long time. When I am sleep-deprived and emotionally exhausted, and have to deal with difficult cirucmstances with co-workers and clients, I struggle with demonstrating godly character. But it's at those very moments that I need more than ever to demonstrate those qualities. I want those character traits to be so embedded in me that even when I'm tired and hungry, I can still respond with patience and in love.
No comments:
Post a Comment