Friday, October 5, 2007

Biblical Grounds for Divorce

Christianity TodayAlthough divorce is abhorrent to everyone, it's practiced prevalently in the Christian church. I know for me personally, I have often been confused at why people were allowed to divorce over anything except marital infidelity and when a spouse leaves because they aren't a believer, since these seem to be the only two options allowed in scripture. However, it seems cruel to keep people in a marriage that destroys them. The cover article of this month's Christianity Today magazine gives the best theological explanation of divorce I've read to date. The article is only several pages long, but it describes the context of Jesus' and Paul's words about marriage and divorce. Take a look.

3 comments:

Ryan and Amy said...

Alright,
when I first read your post, I have to admit I was thinking, "Here we go again. Another highly 'educated' theologian has found what God 'really' meant." But, I was pleasantly surprised by the article. In fact, it makes a LOT of sense! Thank you for posting that one. I'm sure I will go back to it again for reference in the future.

Deborah said...

John Piper wrote an article in response to this one:

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2007/2443_Tragically_Widening_the_Grounds_of_Legitimate_Divorce/

Steph said...

Why are you reading about divorce, Becky???? ;) Just kidding, being newly married as well, I can imagine . . . :)