Friday, September 7, 2007

Crown

Ryan and I have enrolled in a Crown Financial class at our church. I took the course about 5 years, and am looking forward to taking it again, now that I have more life experience under my belt, and have a significant other to make financial decisions with.

The reason I appreciated Crown so much, I think, is it's not so much about "get out of debt fast", but it goes into great detail about biblical principles of life, period, and then talks about how it applies to money in particular. For instance, God wants us whole-heartedly devoted to him, and doesn't want us distracted by anything else that would hold our attention. When we owe other people money, Your Money Countsit means that we are beholden to someone other than God, thus limiting our unfettered ability to serve him.

Our first assignment was to read the book, Your Money Counts by Howard Dayton. I highly recommend that folks sign up for the small group in their area if they have the chance, because there's something good about learning from other folks, as well as group accountability. If you don't have the chance to join a group right now, however, I recommend reading a copy of the book. It's only $11 and gives a good overview of God's principles about how we are to handle our money.

No comments: